(except national holidays, then closed next non-holiday)
Year End and New Year’s holidays
- Grounds Admission：
*From February 19, 2019 admission to the grounds is free
*See calendar of Museum open days here
Traditional Japanese Countryside Scenery
One of the special delights of the Kawamura Memorial DIC Museum of Art is its spacious grounds that blend beautifully into the natural environment of Chiba’s Hokusou Plateau. On these grounds, visitors will find paths that rise and fall over the gently rolling countryside with its lush greenery, part of which winds as a nature trail through a wealth of indigenous trees and plants of the Chiba region. You will also find a wide open grass square and a pond with water lilies reminiscent of the paintings of Monet adding to the pleasant pastoral scenery.
Artworks in Natural Settings
On the grounds there are six outdoor sculptures in natural settings that bring out the inherent dynamism of the works. The daily changes in the weather and the seasonal colors of their natural backdrops bring constantly changing expressions to the faces of these sculptures.
Relaxing Under the Blue Sky
The grass square and the adjacent terrace offer places where visitors can enjoy eating and drinking as they relax. You might want to spread a picnic sheet on the grass for a box lunch, or savor a cup coffee perhaps with a book in hand at the terrace.
Commune with Nature’s Seasons
In spring, 250 cherry trees for ten different varieties bloom one after another, while in summer water lilies and pygmy water lily bloom on the pond. In autumn, the ground is colored with autumn bellflower, while the Japanese maples show their vibrant colors overhead. Finally, winter brings to the pond the migrant Mandarin ducks, and when the mealy primrose blooms we know that spring is not far away.
The 30,000 sq. m. of the museum’s grounds and gardens are home to countless varieties of trees and flowering plants. Here are some of the many you will find here in the changing seasons.
You can also see some of them on our Instagram page.
To Visitors to the Gardens
- Please refrain from entering with pets.
(Guide dogs, hearing dogs and mobility service dogs are allowed.)
- Riding motorcycles or bicycles on the grounds is not allowed. Please park them in the parking area.
- Picking plants or picking up animals to take out of the grounds is prohibited.
- Playing with balls or other equipment that might accidently hit other people is prohibited.
- Do not enter the ponds or streams.
- Bringing alcoholic beverages into the grounds is prohibited.
- Smoking is permitted only in the designated Smoking Area.
- Please take your trash with you when you leave.
- Please obey any instructions given by our staff when using the premises.
To people sketching on the grounds or gardens
- Please refrain from actions that may block the passage of other visitors.
- Please refrain from disposing of water/thinner used for washing brushes on the grounds. Take all such wastes with you when you leave.